Tanglad or as many people refer to as Lemongrass is mostly used by the Asian cuisines as a flavoring agent. You can use it fresh, powdered or dried. It is full of vitamins C, A, potassium, folate, iron, magnesium, folic acid, manganese, copper and phosphorus.
People have also used it traditionally in the folkloric herbal medicine against numerous medical conditions like acne, rheumatism, anxiety, fever etc.
Top 5 Health Benefits of Lemongrass
Helps in digestion
Lemongrass is full of antiseptic compounds which can destroy the bad bacteria effectively, but also destroy parasites from your digestive tract.
Controls Cholesterol Levels
It contains anti-cholesterol and anti-atherosclerosis properties which help you decrease the absorption of cholesterol from your intestines.
Cleanses and Detoxifies
If you consume lemongrass regularly, it will detoxify and cleanse your body. Its nature is diuretic, so you’ll be able to eliminate all of the uric acid, toxins as well as bad cholesterol from your body.
Heals Colds and Flu
Lemongrass is also full of antifungal and antibacterial properties which will help you decrease the fever, cough and many other symptoms of flu. It’s full of vitamin C, so your immune system will become much stronger and it will be able to fight the infections easily.
The Ben Gurion University in Israel conducted a research where it was proved that lemongrass has the ability to assist in the destroying of cancer cells. It contains a component called citral which can cause apoptosis. It doesn’t destroy the healthy cells, but it only affects the cancer cells.
LEMON GRASS JUICE RECIPE
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 8 cups of water
- 6 large stalks of fresh lemongrass
- Pandan leaves in case you want a flavor plus (optional)
- The lemongrass should be washed well. Cut it into a quarter length. Then, pound the white part.
- Boil the water along with the lemongrass in a pot.
- Decrease the heat. Then, let it seethe for 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the fire and let it rest for several minutes.
- After that, you can strain the mixture.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of water with the sugar. It should be dissolved completely.
- If you want an improved taste, add the Pandan leaves. Let it cool down.
- Take a glass and add some lemongrass juice inside. Put several ice cubes.
Lemongrass is also an amazing pain killer. It will help you relieve muscle pain, toothache and joint pain.
These are some of the best health benefits that you’ll obtain by consuming lemongrass juice:
- Helps decrease cellulite
- Soothes arthritis and rheumatism
- Helps in the prevention of colon cancer
- Helps in menstrual disorders
- Relieves nausea
- Helps in decreasing fever
- Effective remedy against fever and cough
- Help to improve the immune system
Article and image source: https://naturalcarebox.com