Cinnamon is something most people adore. This spice is mostly present in drinks or desserts, but recently some new information were presented. It originates from India and it is abundant in numerous nutrients and benefits for our health.
Natural food is something we all have to consume because it is free of pesticides and toxins. But, the best thing would be to cultivate plants and herbs ourselves. In that way, we’ll be certain that they are without any pesticides or toxins.
Cinnamon doesn’t grow big, so you can grow it in your garden or inside your home in a pot.
The cinnamon tree can grow even 2 meters, but if you cultivate it at home, you should prune it in a special way so that it doesn’t grow more than 120 cm.
Cinnamon seeds can be collected as they become mature. You can replant them and obtain a new tree.
What do we need to know to grow our own cinnamon tree?
You can reproduce cinnamon by cuttings or seeds.
- Use a small container where you’ll put the seedlings. Put some soil in it and then, plant your seeds. Make sure the seeds are mature and healthy.
- The container should stay in a dry place and in the shade with a little bit of light.
- The seedlings should be transferred in a larger container or in the ground on open air where the tree will grow.
- Make sure the tree is out of direct light and not in a very dark place.
- Prune the tree well. Prune the branches so that they don’t become extended and in that way, you’ll have the desired dimensions.
- Keep the pots in a warm area. Make sure you don’t use too much water, because the root may rot.
- When it reaches 2 or 3 years of age, harvest your cinnamon.
- Be careful! When your branches are about 3 cm in diameter and become violet in color, you have to cut to 5 cm of the trunk. This will help the tree produce new shoots. You should cut it this way on every 2 years.
- Your cinnamon with a greater quality should be collected from the middle area of your tree. As you go down to the base, the quality becomes decreased.
- In case you can’t peel the crust easily, soak it with some water to remove it well.
- You shouldn’t eat the inside of the crust.
- Keep your first harvested batch of cinnamon into a cool and dry place. If you leave it outside, it may lose the taste and the aroma.
Enjoy your own organic cinnamon! Its flavor will be better and all of your dishes will be improved significantly. If you keep it inside, at your home, it will leave a nice smell around it.
Article and image source: https://homeremediesgarden.com