One of the most common natural remedies for cold winter days is definitely the elderberry. Dry elderberries are especially filled with substances that are amazing for our immune system and can help us against the flu and colds. We can use elderberries for numerous remedies, but one of the best ones is the elderberry syrup.
A Natural Remedy for Mild Colds and Flu?
Natural medicines are far better than conventional medicines. If you often catch colds or the flu, then you definitely need to try the elderberry! In this article, we’re going to present you some of its best benefits as well as how you can use it in the best possible way!
Benefits of Elderberry
Elderberries contain plenty of vitamin C, B and A. They are all amazing for our immune system. Even scientific researches have been performed on elderberries and they all claim that these fruits are amazing for our immune system. They can do wonders against the flu and colds.
Elderberry Syrup Recipe for Flu Prevention
- 1 cup of raw honey
- ⅔ of a cup of dried black Elderberries
- 3 and ½ cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- ½ a teaspoon of clove powder or cloves
- 2 tablespoons of fresh or dried ginger root
- First, you should put the water in a pan. Then, put all of the ingredients inside, but leave out the honey.
- Boil it and leave it to simmer for 40 minutes.
- After that, turn the heat down and let the mixture to cool down. At this point, you have to mash the berries.
- Strain them and leave it to cool down well.
- The honey should be added after it has cooled down. Stir it well. That’s it!
- Children: ½ a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon
- Adults: ½ a tablespoon to 1 tablespoon
Q&A of Elderberry Syrup
How long can you keep the elderberry syrup in the fridge?
If you keep it in a jar that is air-tightly shut, it will last for several months. Otherwise, it will last for several weeks.
Can I harvest my own elderberries?
A herbalist can help you to find a proper plant and teach you all you need to know about them because the stems and the leaves can be dangerous.
Where is the best place to order elderberries?
Amazon and Mountain Rose Herbs.
What can we use Elderberry syrup for?
Take it against the flu or colds or even as a preventive measure. It would be the best if you take ½ or 1 teaspoon every day. You can also sweeten recipes with it!
Is there a substitute for honey in Elderberry syrup?
Your can use maple syrup or molasses, but you can also omit it.
Can I use powdered Elderberries?
You can, but you should only use half a cup of the recipe and not 2/3.
Can the Elderberries be reused?
This isn’t recommended because you shouldn’t consume them in large amounts and because when you boil them, the process destroys many of their beneficial nutrients.
Article and image source: http://besthealthyguide.com