Food taken by people who are diabetic should always be controlled. Diabetic people should make sure they don’t intake foods that are high in sugar. Still, there are some foods and drinks which look healthy, but they actually aren’t. Here, we’re presenting you 20 foods that you must avoid if you’re a diabetic.
20 foods you must avoid if you’re a diabetic
1. Dried fruits: Dried fruits contain plenty of nutrients and fiber, but you must avoid them if you have diabetes. These fruits contain plenty of sugar that will make you dehydrated. Consume more grapefruit or strawberries.
2. White rice, bread and flour: Rice and white flour contain some low-quality carbohydrates. They are also present in white bread and pasta. They have the same reaction as sugar. They can disturb your glucose levels, so make sure you change them with barley, brown rice and whole grains like for example, oats.
3. Fat-filled dairy products: Products which are whole dairy products are abundant in fat, so they can increase the risk of heart disease, bad cholesterol (LDL) and insulin resistance. In case you’re a diabetic, avoid products like fat yogurt, cream cheese, ice cream and various creams.
4. Thick cuts of meat: Avoid fatty meats at all costs just like dairy products. They contain plenty of saturated fats which only increase cholesterol and cause inflammation throughout the body. They can also increase the risk of heart disease. Try to change it for fish, skinless chicken, lean meat, turkey or pork loin.
5. Breakfast cakes: All types of things eaten for breakfast like muffins, cakes, cinnamon rolls or donuts are full of trans-fats and sodium and trans fats. Try the ones without sugar and fat if you still want to consume them. The best option you have is to prepare them at home.
6. Fried foods: Fried food is something that people with diabetes 2 should definitely avoid. They are soaked in plenty of oil and are often covered in flour. They contain plenty of calories.
7. Alcohol: Alcohol can disturb your blood sugar levels. You’d better consult your doctor before you decide to drink alcohol in case you’re a diabetic.
8. Fruit juice: Juices contain healthy carbohydrates and plenty of fiber. They are considered to be the best option for diabetics. But, be careful with fruit juices since they are more nutritious than soda. They often contain concentrated sugar which can increase your sugar levels.
9. Sugary foods: These contain plenty of sugar and are with a low nutritional value which can cause high blood sugar.
10. Cereals: They are everyone’s favorite for breakfast, but make sure you avoid them in case you’re a diabetic, since they are abundant in sugar.
11. Energy bars: They aren’t very bad, but diabetics have to make the right choice.
12. Bananas and melons: These fruits contain the most sugar, so make sure you avoid them if you don’t want to increase your levels of sugar. Peaches also contain plenty of sugar.
13. Mixed Coffees: These are very popular, but contain plenty of sugar, syrup and whipped cream. Make sure you take your coffee without sugar or a little bit of milk.
14. Processed Meat: This type of meat contains plenty of sodium which can cause stroke and double the risk of heart attacks in diabetics.
15. Bought Smoothies: Producers claim that they are very healthy, but they contain plenty of sugar.
16. Chinese food: It contains plenty of fats, calories, carbohydrates and sodium. It can definitely increase the levels of blood sugar.
17. Flavored water: The fact that it contains some flavor says that it is full of sugar, so you’d better avoid it.
18. Frozen / commercial pizza: Pizzas are abundant in calories, fats and sugar, so diabetics should definitely avoid them.
19. Nachos: These contain plenty of calories: 59 grams of fat, 830 calories and 39 of carbohydrates, so diabetics need to avoid them.
20. Hamburger restaurants: These restaurants sell food abundant in saturated fats which increases the cholesterol and diabetics need to avoid it.
Diabetics need to know which food they can intake so that they could live a normal life. They also need to listen to their body well!