Green beans are the unripe protective pods of various cultivars of the common beans. They are also known as French beans, snap beans or simply snaps and are cultivated all around the world. We commonly eat them as a side-meal to a dish or we add them to stews, but almost no one is aware of their incredible medical potential.
Green beans offer a variety of health benefits. They are great for our eyes and bones, and their rich nutritional profile can reinforce our immune system and fight free radicals in the body. The beans are rich in fiber which can improve our digestion, and also contain a lot of protein which the body needs to build up muscle and lose weight. Furthermore, they also contain a variety of vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B6, C and K, as well as magnesium, manganese, calcium, potassium, iron and folic acid.
Here are the main health benefits of green beans:
- The high amount of antioxidants can prevent DNA damage and protect the body against free radicals;
- Green beans are great for pregnant and lactating women – they reduce the risk of birth defects and boost the production of milk;
- Due to the rich amount of iron, green beans are a perfect remedy for anemia and blood loss due to heavy menstruation;
- Thanks to their low-calorie content, they are ideal for weight loss;
- Green beans can improve the health of your colon and improve elimination, effectively preventing colorectal cancer;
- They can regulate our blood pressure and keep our cardiovascular health in check;
- Green beans are rich in calcium, a mineral that can strengthen our bones and prevent them from becoming brittle and weak;
- Thanks to their anti-inflammatory properties, green beans can treat asthma, arthritis and other inflammatory conditions;
- Consuming the beans regularly will boost our body’s energy levels;
- Green beans are perfect for our cardiovascular health – they can prevent cholesterol from building up in the arteries and prevent atherosclerosis, a condition which is often fatal.
Article and image source: http://organicfoodmedicine.com