Although people rarely do, we should become comfortable with interpreting signs from our body’s urine. Urine can be a telltale sign of different health problems, and paying attention to its color, odor or consistency can be a very helpful with discerning the condition of your heath. Urine is predominantly water – around 95%, the remaining 5% consists of urea, creatinine, potassium and other materials which are the by-products of the chemical processes involved in the digestive and urinary systems. It’s usual yellow color comes from urobilin, which is a waste product created from the breakdown of red blood cells.
THE MEANINGS OF DIFFERENT URINE COLORS:
When urine looks clear, it’s usually the sign of an overly hydrated body – it might be an indicator for chemical misbalance in the body and of dissolved electrolytes.
This is the healthiest, normal urine color – it means that your body is properly hydrated.
This is often a sign of an infection of the bladder that usually happens due to proteins being broken down in the body, or of excessive amounts of mucus.
A clear sign of dehydration. When you notice this color, it’s advisable that you drink more water.
An indicator of a more serious level of dehydration, or, in some cases, a large presence of vitamin B. Drink a lot of fluids like water or tea.
Orange indicates that there are excessive amounts of bilirubin in your body, a sign of gallstone obstacles in the bile duct as well, or a consequence of urinary tract medicine.
This color in your urine can sometimes be misleading. The color may be a result of eating too much beets, or, on a more serious note, an indicator that there is blood in it, which is a reason to go to the urologist straight away.
DARKER SHADE OF PINK
A darker hue of pink is almost always serious. It probably means that there is a considerable amount of blood in your urine, and a telltale sign of serious ailments such as an infection of the bladder, or even cancer. Don’t dwell on it, though, go to the doctor immediately!
REALLY DARK PINK
A lot of blood in the urine – check this with the doctor at once, because it’s almost certainly cancer.
This is usually the result of some types of medicine, like the anti-malaria chloroquine or the antibiatoic metronidazole, or simply working out too much, in which case the myoglobin used for energy mingles with bodily fluids like blood or urine. However, it still might be a good idea to check this with a urologist, because you can do a myoglobin test (sometimes this can lead to kidney failure) and in certain cases it can be an indicator for liver disease as well.
BLUE OR GREEN URINE
Almost always the result of excessive amounts of artificial colors in the body, or the presence of trivial food items like jello, or sometimes medicines like Uribel, which contain blue methylene. As this is nothing really serious, you can get it out of your system with a lot of hydration.