When winter comes, the flu and colds activate and many people have health problems. The cold air as well as the changing temperature cause germs to spread and many people fall ill. Coughs, sniffing and sore throat are something that’s very common.
Some people have very weak symptoms which disappear in 1 or 2 days, but they can be pretty annoying. So, why wouldn’t you turn towards something natural to alleviate those symptoms and increase your immunity?
Garlic and Its Health Benefits
Garlic is full of allicin. This substance contains very strong antiviral, antioxidant, anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. It is also extremely beneficial for our immune system, digestive system, circulatory system and is known to decrease our levels of high blood pressure. If you can’t stand its aroma, you can use some garlic supplements that are odorless.
These are some of the best benefits garlic has to offer:
- Fights off allergies
- Regulates blood pressure levels
- Diminishes arterial plaque
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Helps prevent weight gain
- Treats sore throat
- Removes parasites
- Soothes infections of the upper respiratory tract
- Lowers inflammation
Garlic contains an abundance of minerals and vitamins. According to a particular study performed in 12 weeks where the power of allicin was tested, it managed to decrease the symptoms of the flu or colds in 50%!
Ginger and Its Health Benefits
Ginger is used in the kitchen, but also in the traditional medicine to fight colds, the flu, fevers, digestive problems as well as other health problems. It is extremely effective in relieving arthritis and is a very powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It has been scientifically proved that it can also treat vomiting and nausea. It is full of antimicrobial, antioxidant and antifungal properties that can relieve the symptoms of the flu and various colds very quickly.
Flu-fighting Garlic And Ginger Soup
Our recipe today combines both of these superfoods into an amazing soup. It will help you relieve the symptoms of any sinus, flu or cold infection.
- 4 green finely sliced onions
- 2 peeled and finely diced garlic cloves
- 50 g of grated ginger root
- 1 finely diced medium-hot chili pepper
- 7 cups of stock or chicken broth (or in case you’re a vegan, use vegetable stock)
- Combine the onions, ginger and garlic into a large pot. Sauté them all for several minutes.
- After that, put the stock or broth and leave it to boil.
- Simmer it until it becomes soft.
- In the end, add the chili and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Serve it with a piece of warm bread.
If you don’t like chili, you can also use other spices. Use cinnamon, for example. It’s also abundant in health benefits.
You can also add butternut squash and carrots to make it even more healthier. Simmer them until they become soft and then, puree them.
The soup will be a complete meal if you add it chopped broccoli, sliced mushrooms and some cubed organic chicken cutlets. Add some beans instead of the chicken if you’re a vegan.
Article and image source: http://besthealthyguide.com